Follow by Email

Monday, 16 February 2009

Disaster overcome. Hurrah!

Well that was a learning experience. Finally I managed to complete my mould and now I'm feeling good again. The plaster from Tiranti's was perfect and is stronger than i imagined. It did exaclty what it said on the tub.
The two halves with the liberated Diable in the middle

The Back

The Front

Now for the big clean-up operation there are just a couple of air bubble defects which look manageable. This is getting exciting again, there is nothing like overcoming a disaster to boost your moralle. I'm going to take my time over the next few steps just so as I don't make any stupid mistakes. It is so easy to get carried away when things are going well.
Posted by Picasa

Tuesday, 3 February 2009

Disaster With My Mould

Well I'm just going to have to put this down to trial and error and most definately this was an error. My plaster should have cured after 24 hours and to me it seemed to have done so, I was wrong. When prizing apart the two halves the mould crumbled and all the layers of plaster soaked skrim had not adhered to the initial detail plaster layer. I guess my plaster was very old or something, I not too sure what went wrong. Thankfully I managed to retrieve my sculpt out of its crumbling messy tomb with just a couple of dents that are easy to fix. This set back is a bit disheartening but now i'm going to source a better plaster and start again.

Sunday, 1 February 2009

Finished Diable Body Sculpt and Start of Mould

Its been a very busy and exciting weekend, having finished the body sculpt I have begun the mould making process. Here are some photos of the finished sculpt.




Here I used Lighter fluid to smooth the modeling clay, it worked a treat







The Mould Begins

I have used standard pottery clay to hold him in position while make the 1st part of the mould.



Gee what a mess. I hope Ron Cole will avert his eyes from the next picture. I have used Skrim with plaster to strengthen the mould



After going around the edge with a sharp knife I cut the excess plaster off.



Ok Ron you can look again. I made a wall with the pottery clay a step for getting my fingers between the two halves. Having applied vaseline to the exposed plaster I am ready for the next half.
This has been a great and messy weekend and I have learnt a lot. I am really looking forward to when the plaster if fully cured, which should be on Monday night, so I can begin casting.

Saturday, 31 January 2009

Diable sculpt update

I'm quite excited as I has finished the sculpting and have just cast the first half of my two part mould. WoooWho, my fingers have still bits of plaster on them and so no photos in this post but rest assured I have taken some and will post tomorrow. I am excited and just a bit anxious that all will turn out ok. I guess I now while I wait for setting process I'll have get on with normal life and do the dish washing and clean up my flat, things I have neglected whilst pushing on with this project. Oh well........

Thursday, 15 January 2009

Diable Sculpt....Legs near complete

Almost there with the sculpting. I'm back at work now so time is limited, none the less I have completed his legs, just the arms to go now. I hope to finish this weekend and make a start in mould making.



Posted by Picasa

Monday, 5 January 2009

More Diable Sculpt photos

My trusty Anatomy book showing me where to put muscles.





Click on image to see larger picture. then back button to return here.
Posted by Picasa

Friday, 2 January 2009

Le Diable a New Puppet.

Here are some photos of an armature of Le Diable which I began yesterday. They are all early stage and hope to update this post with the progress. Let me know what you think and advice is always welcome as is critisim.


Sketch for the armature



Removeable Hands


Back view showing posts for removeable tail and wings


Front View


Epoxy Hooves

Nails Wired to Armature for bones

Small Nail bone

KS brass square sections for removeable tail and wings, cut extra long for mould registration.

Clay being applied






Posted by Picasa